Household Item Donations:
Refugees arrive in North Carolina with only the supplies that they can carry. In order to respond to this need, CWS sets up their first homes in America with essential furnishings and supplies before they arrive. We ensure that those fleeing their countries are welcomed to a place they can call home.
Items in demand include:
- mattresses, box springs, and bed frames (twin, full/double, queen)
- sheets (fitted and flat)
- hand towels, bath towels, and washcloths
- lamps (both floor and table)
- dressers (small)
- nightstands or endtables
- kitchen tables and chairs
- dishes: pots, pans, baking dishes, mixing bowls, serving utensils, can openers, plates, cups, silverware
- rice cookers
- vaccuum cleaners
- small couches
- alarm clocks
- trash cans
- tea kettles
- school supplies (paper, pens, pencils, crayons, rulers)
- new toiletries (soap, toothpaste, deodorant, etc.)
Donations should be in relatively good condition and working order. CWS staff will pick up furniture donations within a 15 minute radius of our Durham office. Smaller items should be brought directly to our office. View our apartment furnishings list for more item ideas. Unfortunately, we are not able to take desks, office chairs, tv stands, futons/fold out couches, large dressers, recliners, daybeds, air mattresses, headboards/footboards, or clothing.
*If you are interested in volunteering to help set up apartments before refugee families arrive or to use your truck or van to move furniture contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 919-680-4310.
Click here to download our donations receipt form.
Double Gift Catalog:
Give one gift, twice! Once to someone you know and love and again to a newly arriving refugee family. Click here to view our Gift Catalog.
Financial Donations:Make a tax deductible donation to the CWS Refugee Resettlement Program in Durham, serving refugees and immigrants in the Triangle. Your donations will assist arriving refugee families on their journey to self-sufficiency, equipping refugee arrivals for employment, providing bicycles and bus passes, and purchasing a variety of household goods for arriving families as well as providing financial assistance to our program as a whole.
- Give online through Paypal. (Be sure to select Durham, NC from the dropdown menu and select your preferred “stay up-to-date” items.)
- Make checks payable to Church World Service and mail to:
Church World Service
112 S. Duke Street
Durham, NC 27701